So, I have come to the realization that I may not have the best ability to pick projects that end up being significant sources of income. In light of this realization, a few months ago I decided it was time to try and to a few “speed” projects rather than invest monumental amounts of time on a single project that more than likely will have lackluster resulted. While in theory this idea seems to make sense, in practice I am afraid once again I fell short of the mark.
While trying to find some decent rates for a personal HSA (health savings accounts) accounts, I found that useful online resources were few and far between. I decided that this might be a perfect niche opportunity to not only track and compare the interest rates offered by different custodians (something I was doing anyways), but also hopefully create a quick little site that others would find useful. I imagined the adsense keywords related to a health savings account site would be higher paying and the structure/layout of the site could be extremely simple and easy. All in all I judged it would be a lightning quick sprint of a project that would have some income generating potential.
I judged wrong (at least on the “lightning quick sprint of a project “ part). If you like, take a look at it here: While I am extremely happy with the final product, I logged about 66 hours so far getting it up and running. I started out using a Google doc spreadsheet as the database as I believed this would be fairly easy to maintain. Realizing that the maintenance of such a site would be significant, as an afterthought I decided to try and integrate with Amazon Mechanical Turk to try and crowdsource a lot of the nitty gritty upkeep. But I failed to account for how long this integration would take, and then how much I actually would have to pay to get the quality upkeep I was looking for. So, in the end, after taking all the time to integrate, I decided that the original spreadsheet idea was a much better idea and switched back (of course I deleted most of the previous versions so I had to rewrite much of it from scratch again). This took much longer than expected. In short, some of the takeaway lessons from the project are: I need to do a better job planning out my projects from the get go, and also I need to keep all of the past revisions (even if I don’t think I am going to end up re-using them).
So despite being disappointed by the much longer than expected time frame, I think the site turned out looking pretty good and could be quite useful for anyone looking to compare rates on HSA account. If by any chance you are looking for for a HSA account check the site out here: HSA Rates As of yet there is next to no traffic to the site and of course this means as of yet it has not produced any real income. I am hopeful however that as the site gets indexed and gets some backlinks it will help improve income rate and bring me closer to my goal.